Dan Beard is a recognized leader on water resource policy affairs, and a passionate spokesman for common sense reform. He has spoken to audiences throughout the United States, Japan, China, Bulgaria, South Africa and the United Kingdom. He has been interviewed on numerous television programs, appeared in numerous documentaries, on the Discovery Channel, local radio stations and National Public Radio. He has written opinion pieces for many leading newspapers including the New York Times.
- Summary of the book – .pdf or click here
- High resolution pictures of Dan – image 1, image 2, image 3
- High resolution picture of the cover of Deadbeat Dams – .jpg or .pdf
- Presentation Posters – Save the Poudre Rally, Ken Sanders Rare Books, Prescott College, and Colorado State University.
- Articles about Dan: “Should the Bureau of Reclamation be Abolished?” High Country News Website, March 19, 2015. “Former Bureau of Rec chief argues against dam building,” Leia Larsen, Ogden Standard Register, March 25, 2015. “Former federal water manager proposes tearing down Glen Canyon Dam,” Brett Prettyman, Salt Lake City Tribune, March 29, 2015. “First and foremost, Western water is about politics,” Judy Fahys, KUER Radio, Salt LakeCity. “Lifeblood of the area, water continues to get more scarce,” Richard Shaw, Carbon County Sun Advocate, April 2, 2015. “Former Reclamation Boss Says: Tear Down Glen Canyon Dam,” Moab Sun News, April 9, 2015. Op-Ed, “Saving California Farmers From Themselves,” Bloomberg View, April 27, 2015. “Mike Connor and Dan Beard are wrong about the Bureau of Reclamation and replumbing the West,” JFLECK AT INSTAIN, Water Blog of John Fleck, July 6, 2015. “If You Only Read One Book About the Drought: ‘Cadillac Desert,'” Mark Herstgaard, The Daily Beast, July 11, 2015. “Ex-Federal Official: Dams are ‘Dinosaurs,'” Anne Knowles, Lake Tahoe News, October 23, 2015.
- Radio/TV Interviews of Dan: “Deadbeat Dams,” RadioWest hosted by Doug Fabrizio, KUER Radio, Salt Lake City, UT, March 31, 2015. “Time to Look at Dam Demolition,” FoxNews13, Salt Lake City, UT March 31, 2015. “Former Federal Dam Manager Tells Utah It’s Time to Tear Down Deadbeat Dams,” Interview with Jennifer Pemberton, Utah Public Radio, April 14, 2015. “For Rivers and Streams: Messiness Matters, Part 1: Deadbeat Dams,” Jennifer Pemberton, Utah Public Radio, April 24, 2015. Panelist on “Your Call,” Host Rose Aguilar, KALW San Francisco, May 5, 2015. “Get Rid of the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, says its former boss,” Ryan Warner, Colorado Matters, Colorado Public Radio, May 19, 2015. Interview by Lori Sonken, WRFI FM Radio Ithaca, NY, June 24, 2015. “Water Expert to Speak in Silver City on Saturday,” Fred Martino, KRWG-FM Radio New Mexico State University, November 14, 2015. “‘Deadbeat Dams’ Author Calls For Abolishing Water Bureacracy,” Monica Ortiz Uribe, Fronteras Media, El Paso, TX, November27, 2015.
- Webinars: WaterSide Chat with WaterSmart, Inc., July 7, 2015. “Why the former head of the Bureau of Reclamation wants to tear it down,” UpFront, KPFA, Oakland, CA, August 19, 2015.
- Quotes & Comments: “The End of California,” Tim Egan, New York Times Sunday Review, May 1, 2015. “Drought Sends U.S. Water Agency Back to Drawing Board,” Coral Davenport, New York Times, July 5, 2015. “The Undamming of America,” Anna Lieb, NovaNext, August 12, 2015. “Leadership gap hinders federal drought response,” Mike Doyle, Fresno Bee, August 19, 2015. “Farmers Try Political Force to Twist Open California’s Taps,” Michael Wines & Jennifer Medina, New York Times, December 30, 2015. “Unplugging the Colorado River: Could the end be near for one of the West’s biggest dams?” New York Times, May 20, 2016. “Water crisis not on presidential candidates’ radar,” Carolyn Lochhead, San Francisco Chronicle, May 29, 2016.